ZAPIER - THE BEST APPS, BETTER TOGETHER.
Before continuing, be sure to review how to search Zapier for your favorite software here.
Example Zap: PracticePanther -> Google Drive
Let's say we want to connect PracticePanther to Google Drive. Our goal is to make it so any time a contact is made in PracticePanther, Google Drive should automatically create a folder for this contact.
In this situation, PracticePanther would be our Trigger app and Google Drive would be our Action app.
To create our first Zap between PracticePanther and Google Drive, follow these simple steps:
1) In Zapier, click "Log in" or "Sign up" if we don't already have an account.
2) Create a "Zap" by clicking "Make a Zap!".
3) Look up PracticePanther in the search bar to select it as the "Trigger" application.
4) Either look up a "Trigger" in the search bar or select an option from the list below.
For this example, we'll be choosing the "New Contact" Trigger so this Zap will activate anytime we create a new contact in PracticePanther.
5) After choosing the "New Contact" Trigger, scroll down and click "Save + Continue".
6) Click "Connect an Account" to sync our PracticePanther account.
7) Log into our PracticePanther account if needed.
8) Click "Grant Access" to allow Zapier to connect.
9) Click "Test" and verify that the status of the test comes out as "Success!".
Note: If it displays "Failed" instead, reconnect our PracticePanther again as shown above in step 6 and try again. If it continues to fail, reach out to our support team right away using the blue bubble on the bottom right of our PracticePanther screen or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
10) After getting "Success!" to appear, scroll down and click "Continue".
Now we can decide which types of contacts we want to Trigger this Zap. If we want a folder created for any contact created, leave these fields blank and click "Continue" then skip to step 14.
11) Choose a user from our PracticePanther account for the "Assigned To" field if we want the Google Drive folder to be created only when a contact is created in PracticePanther with this assigned user.
Note: This Zap will not trigger for other users if a user is specified here.
12) Choose from one of our existing PracticePanther tags if we want to only create Google Drive folders for a specific type of person.
Note: This Zap will not trigger for other types of users if a tag is specified here.
To learn more about PracticePanther tags, click here.
In the example above, we've set our Zap to only Trigger when a contact is made in PracticePanther where "David Silberberg" is the assigned user, and only once that contact is tagged as a "New Client". This way, a folder will only be created in Google Drive once our "Leads" become "New Clients" in PracticePanther.
Here's what an example of this contact might look like in PracticePanther:
13) Click "Continue" in Zapier.
Zapier will now want to run a test using the credentials we've set.
14) Take a moment to make sure we have at least one contact in PracticePanther with the selected credentials.
15) Click "Fetch and Continue".
Zapier will try to find at least one contact that matches the criteria we've set. If it fails, this means we'll need to create a new contact in PracticePanther that best matches the criteria we've set for this Zap, then try again by clicking "Re-test".
16) Click "Continue".
17) Type in "Google Drive" if we do not see it on the list and select it.
Now we will be choosing the "Action" we want to take place in Google Drive whenever our Trigger occurs in PracticePanther. There are two way Google Drive allows us to create a folder.
Create Folder: This will simply create a new folder in Google Drive, even one already happens to exist for this client.
Find a Folder: This will compose an active search in Google Drive for any folder names that match the new contact's name. It will only create a new folder if it does not find an exact match. Recommended to avoid creating duplicate folders.
18) Select "Find a Folder" and click "Continue".
19) Click "Connect an Account" and select which of our Google accounts we'd like to sync with.
20) Click "Test" on the desired Google account and verify that the status of the test comes out as "Success!".
Note: If it displays "Failed" instead, reconnect our Google account again as shown above in step 19 and try again. If it continues to fail, reach out to Google's (or the chosen App's) support team right away to help with this step.
21) After getting "Success!" to appear, scroll down and click "Save + Continue".
Now we're going to decide what details we want included for the created folders in Google Drive.
22) Click on the dropdown button to the right on the "Folder Name" field.
Note: Each field references a field from our contacts in PracticePanther. Let's pick our favorite way to have the folder name displayed.
23) Select "My Google Drive" (or our preferred drive).
24) Choose one of our existing folders to be the parent folder for this new folder.
25) Check the box for "Create Google Drive Folder if it doesn't exist yet?".
26) After we're finished filling out these fields, click "Continue".
27) Review the information for this Action, scroll down and click "Fetch & Continue".
If the test is not successful, go back a step and review the fields that are filled out for any possible mistakes. If the test continues to fail, you may need to reconnect your Google account (see step 19) or contact Google support.
28) After receiving the "Test Successful!" notification, click "Add a Step" if we'd like to add an additional Action to this Zap. Otherwise, click "Finish".
There's just one final step...
29) Turn the Zap from "Off" to "On".
What happens now?
Our PracticePanther, Google Drive and Zapier are synced. Anytime we create a contact in PracticePanther, a folder will automatically generate in Google Drive per our specifications.