Required Plan: This feature appears on all of our available plans! Click here to read more on the plans we offer
Manually moving your information to PracticePanther sounds like a Herculean task. That's why we've made it for you easy to import it!
Prior to uploading tasks, you are going to need:
Ensure that the contacts and matters you want to link the task to have a “Contact Number” and a “Matter Number”.
Download the Tasks import template.
Once you have the template downloaded, fill in the template with the appropriate information. Each row corresponds to one task and you should fill in the information accordingly.
1) ContactNumber: Column A is for the contact number, this is how the import tool knows what contact to link to the task. Make sure to enter the contact number of the contact you wish to link the task to into this column. Alternatively, you can leave it empty if the task is only linked to a matter.
2) MatterNumber: Column B is for the matter number, this is how the import tool knows what matter to link to the task. Make sure to enter the matter number of the contact you wish to link to the task to into this column. In the same manner, you can leave it empty if the task is only linked to a contact.
3) DueDate: Column C is the date and time at which the task is due. The formatting you need to use for this column is MM/DD/YYYY. If your date format is different, you can apply the required formatting for the whole column using Excel as in the example below.
4) Subject: Column D is the title of the task. This is the main title the task will show inside of PracticePanther.
5) Description: Column E is the description of the task. If there is no description, you may leave it empty.
6) Status: Column F indicates whether the task is completed, in progress, or not completed. The options you may enter are shown in the header of the column. If the task is complete, enter "Completed", if the task is not complete, enter "NotCompleted". If you've begun working on the task, enter "InProgress".
7) AssignedTo: Column G is for the users assigned to the task. You will need to enter the email address associated with the user in PracticePanther. You can also assign multiple users to a task by separating each email address by a comma.
8) Tags: Column I is for tagging the task. You can apply multiple tags to a task by separating each tag by a comma. Please keep in mind that you will first need to create it for the import tool to take it. These tags can be created under “Activity Tags” on the settings page. For more information about tags, please see the tags tutorial.
The only fields that are not required are the Description and the Tags, however, if your task is not linked to any of your contacts or matters, you can leave both fields blank. You will still get notified and it will show on your calendar.
What happens now?
Now that your events template is complete, you may proceed with uploading the file. Please note that you shouldn't change the Excel file extension since a CSV file is required. Head over to the import tool and select "tasks" from the dropdown menu, attach the file you have prepared, and click the upload button.