Each case you create in PracticePanther is called a "Matter". These must be assigned to a contact (a case can't exist without a client after all). Each contact can have an unlimited amount of matters.
Below you will find a start to finish tutorial covering everything you will need to know regarding matters in PracticePanther. Jump to the topic of interest by clicking on a title in the index below.
Please watch this video or follow the steps below:
How to create a matter
1) Click on the green "New" button, after creating a contact. A matter must always be assigned to a contact.
2) When you're creating a matter, you can add your own custom fields. Please see the following article for more information on custom fields.
At the bottom of the matter creation fields, there are important fields: "Assigned to", "Originating Attorney", and "Tags".
1) "Assigned to" is reserved for those are actually working on the matter. Whoever is assigned to it, will also the receive the relevant notifications and updates regarding the matter. To manage what users can edit, or see, please see our article on access levels.
2) "Originating Attorney" is meant for reporting purposes. For more information on our originating attorney report, please see this article.
3) "Tags" are essentially custom filters. They allow you to filter your matter (or contact) list, based on custom criteria. Please see this article on tags for more information.
How to assign a custom rate to your matter
If you select "Matter Custom Rate" as a matter rate, you'll be able to select a specific rate, just for this matter. You can choose whether you want that rate for everyone, per user, or per role.
Matter overview page
1) The briefcase icon on the top left is the indication that you're currently navigating within a matter. This is followed by the (clickable) contact name, and the matter name.
2) Under the financial overview, you'll find the tabs to navigate within the matter.
3) Use the green "New" button here to create any item for this matter specifically.
4) In the "Matter" tab, you'll find the general summary for the particular matter.
5) At the bottom of the window, you'll find the "History" section, which keeps track of every action performed within this matter.